3 Motivational Exercise Strategies

Motivation to exercise has to be one of the biggest challenges when trying to get in shape. Without it, you’re doomed before you start. But with so many distractions in this hectic world, how do you find the time, the reason, the purpose, or the motivation?



So many things can take you off track and I hear the reasons why every day. Work, kids, spouse, friends, money, time, or you just plain don’t like to work out.



I understand that not everyone enjoys working out as much as I do. I’ve been doing it so long, that it’s a part of me. I really can’t comprehend a life without lifting heavy weights and pushing my body in the gym. It’s a part of my being like breathing is.



So if you’re not there yet, here are some tips to get you started in that direction. You may not enjoy it, but you and I both know, You Need It.



Tip #1. Open Your Mind



You have to actually want to work out. Open your mind to all the benefits it’ll bring you and not close your mind to all the hassle it is to do it. If your excuse is time, I’ll tell you that you make time for your priorities. If your excuse is kids or spouse, I’ll tell you need to work out to be with them longer and enjoy a more fulfilled life. If your excuse is money, I’ll tell you to workout at home with little to no equipment. If your excuse is friends, I’ll tell you find some friends that enjoy going to the gym.



Your whole mindset will shift when you stop telling yourself “I can’t find the motivation exercise” and you start asking yourself “How can I find the motivation to exercise?”.



By simply asking yourself a different question, your thought pattern shifts and a whole new world opens up.



Tip #2. Set a hard and Fast Deadline



Humans perform amazing tasks when under a deadline. If it’s Monday, and you had a report due by Friday, chances are, you wouldn’t get started until Thursday or Wednesday if you’re really a go-getter. However, if your boss came to you on Tuesday and said we need that report tomorrow, you’d do whatever it took to get it done.



There’s a law called Parkinson’s Law that says “A job will expand to fit the time allotted for it.” So if you want to achieve a large goal, set a short deadline. Your mind will shift into “Emergency Mode” and find a way to get it done in that time.



So usually ask my clients to find an event they can aim to be ready for such as a wedding, reunion, holiday, or special occasion. With this deadline in mind, they have “blood in the game” and they find another gear. If you have the money, I’d suggest booking a tropical vacation to a place you’ve never been or to your favorite getaway. This’ll be a nice treat at the end of your journey and give you something to look forward too.



Otherwise, make up a deadline. I’m competing in a fitness modeling show in a few weeks. I’m using that as an excuse to get into the best shape of my life. Find a destination that will motivate you and drive to it.



Tip #3. Stop Making Excuses



My friends know that I’m a black or white kinda guy. Either it is, or it isn’t - in most cases. So I have a quote that says, “Either you’re getting it done, or you’re making excuses.” My clients know that when they fail to do something, I don’t wanna hear it. They text me or email, “No excuses Mitch.” and they get it done the next time.



I have a firm belief that people who continually make excuses never achieve much in life. So if you want to move to that next level in your physique, you need to take Full responsibility for your success. It’s in NO ONE’S hands but your own.



Here’s a little trick to stop making excuses. Every time you feel an excuse coming on or you speak one, slide your finger across your throat to signify that you’re cutting yourself short. I don’t care what you have going on in your life - There Is Always A Way To Get It Done. That’s a mindset you have to get to if you want to succeed in anything.



So those are three tips to find and keep the motivation to exercise. Ultimately you want to form the habit of working out, which will come with time. For more tips on workout motivation, check out the post that’s highlighted.



Hope your mind is beginning to shift.

Stay Ripped,

Mitch

0 comments: